• Mass Tone and Undertone

    26 days ago - By Gurney Journey

    The appearance of a watercolor pigment as it comes out of the tube may be rather different from the way it looks when it is thinned with water.
    Mass tone and undertone demo by Winsor & Newton The tube color is called the mass tone , and the color when thinned down is called the undertone.
    For example, what inspired the color treatment on this sketch was the strange behavior of Azo green watercolor. It has a dull olive-green mass tone but the undertone is a rather strong yellow.
    If you're not too familiar with the difference between mass tone and undertone, here's a short video by Winsor &...
    Read more ...